I sighed as I struggled to untie my ballet slippers. I had thought that dance class would be fun so I had begged Mom to sign me up. But now it was a disaster. I was absolutely, positively terrible. I turned to make sure I had everything. “Leotard, skirt, tights, legwarmers, and slippers—yup, everything’s here.” I shoved it all in my bag and yanked on my snow boots. I grabbed my sweatshirt and pulled it on as I went out the door.
My mom was sitting in the car. Even though the car was pulled up to the curb, I had to crunch my way through the snow.
“May I go to Meg’s?” I asked. Meg was my best friend. Also, Meg had a solution for everything, but she liked dance. Actually she had told me to keep begging until Mom said yes.
“Sure, Jordan. I’ll pick you up at 2:00,” said Mom, interrupting my thoughts. “And don’t eat too much junk food and sweets,” Mom continued as she pulled into Meg’s driveway. Meg’s brothers were playing snowball fight. Meg was at her window.
“I was just going to call you,” she called out her window. “Come inside; I’ve got something for you.” I ran to the door. Crunch went the snow under my feet. Meg’s mom opened the door. I pulled off my boots and ran up their stairs.
“Here,” she said, handing me a bag. I ran to Meg’s room. Meg followed close behind. When we were in Meg’s room, I pulled out a pair of sparkling, glittering, beautiful silver dance shoes.
“I don’t know what to say,” I said.
“They helped me dance,” Meg said.
“They make me want to dance.” I said. After that, we did our usual things, such as braid friendship bracelets and play soccer in her basement. Soon it was 2:00 and I had to go. I pulled on my boots and grabbed my slippers and ran to the car.
That night, after my mom had checked my bag for the next day, ever so quietly, I crept out of my room and seized my bag. I pulled out my old slippers and put in my new ones. I half tiptoed, half ran back to my room. When I had reached it I heard a door behind me and I sprang under my sheets.
The next thing I knew, sunlight was streaming through my window. Just then, my alarm clock went off. I got out of my bed. I took off my pajamas. I put on a t-shirt, sweatpants, and a sweatshirt. I grabbed my ballet bag and ran downstairs into the kitchen. I ate my oatmeal really quickly and ran to the door. I pulled on my boots. I was just about to go through the door.
“What are you so excited for,” my mom asked. I thought a moment. I shrugged my shoulders.
“Just happy,” I said. While I trudged through the snow to the car, I thought about what Mom had said. Maybe they were just slippers or maybe—
Whack! I hit the car mirror. Rubbing my head, I climbed into the car. When we got to the ballet place, still rubbing my head, I opened the door. I wished that Meg went to the same ballet school as me. But unfortunately, she didn’t. I went to the changing room and changed into my ballet clothes. I walked into the ballet studio.
It started out normally. We started with stretches. I wasn’t any better or any worse. I sighed. Maybe these ballet slippers only worked for Meg. Then we went to the bars.
After about half an hour I, along with everyone else, was amazed. I was so good! After class the teacher asked to talk to me.
“Sure,” I said.
“What did you do to get so good?”
“Nothing,” I said.
“I believe you,” my teacher said.
I was just about to leave when Meg burst through the door.
“We get to spend the day together. My mom said that I could help pick you up from dance. Speaking of that, how was it with the slippers and all?”
“Wonderful!” I said. “You’re the best friend ever.” I ran and we gave each other a hug.
THE END
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment